A recent study from the University of Westminster found that watching scary movies may help people burn calories and in turn, lose weight.
The study suggests that watching scary movies may cause the viewer’s pulse to quicken and the body to experience a surge of adrenaline; two factors that are often seen in intensely stressful situations. Both are known to increase the viewer’s metabolic rate and decrease appetite, which could ultimately lead to calories being burned at a faster rate.
In an unrelated study, the American Council on Fitness found that the average American enjoys around 3,000 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving. That is 1,000 more calories than the suggested 2,000 calorie per day diet, not even considering the amount of fat we consume during that deliciously decadent meal!
So, after all the turkey, gravy and stuffing have been enjoyed, it seems like the perfect time to take part in a scare-a-thon of epic proportions!
Find your spot on the couch, and try to stave off the L-tryptophan induced nap, by popping in some of the scariest flicks around.
Here are our five favorite movies for “losing weight” this Thanksgiving!
- The Shining will have you shedding 184 calories of pure fear.
- Our favorite great white will leave you 161 calories lighter if you watch Jaws.
- The Exorcist will burn 158, self-explanatory, calories.
- Alien is sure to start a lively discussion about what may, or may not, be living on other planets, all while leaving you 152 calories lighter.
- And last but not least, a gory-but-good favorite, Saw, will have you screaming off 133 calories.
If you prefer to just stick to the eating, check out this article about how to scientifically prepare the perfect turkey.
Whatever your decision, The Science and Entertainment Exchange wishes you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving holiday!